mabfan (Michael A. Burstein) (mabfan) wrote,
mabfan (Michael A. Burstein)

Thanksgiving Weekend

Is it just me, or does Thanksgiving weekend seem to go by quickly for other people as well?

Our weekend was filled with dentists, turkey, family, home electronics, errands, television, reading, and sleep. Let's take a look.

My company gave us Wednesday afternoon off, which meant that I could take care of some of my usual errands earlier than usual. And it meant that Wednesday afternoon, I could work in an appointment with a local dentist.

This may sound trivial, but it was actually a big step for me. When my mom first took me to a dentist, she took me to Dr. Samuel Reiman, who practiced in Forest Hills, Queens. For most of my life, Dr. Reiman was the only dentist I went to. Even after I left home for college and graduate school, I continued to see Dr. Reiman for all my cleanings and checkups. (Fortunately, I never had any serious dental problems, so I never worried about not having a local dentist.)

I continued to see Dr. Reiman even after I got married and settled in the Boston area. Generally, I made it back to Forest Hills at least twice a year to see Mom, so I could never see a reason to go to another dentist. And then one day, Dr. Reiman informed me that he was selling his practice. I was heartbroken, but what could I do? I suppose it would have been a propitious time to find a local dentist, but instead I continued going to Dr. Reiman's practice, although it was now owned and operated by Dr. Ralph Braunschwieg. I felt more comfortable going to a dentist that I knew Dr. Reiman trusted.

I last saw Dr. Braunschweig in December 2006, and since then, of course, Mom died and we sold the house. Realizing that it was unlikely I'd be visiting Forest Hills, Queens on a regular basis anymore, I called his office, broke the news, and had them send my latest records to a dentist in Brookline. Having no desire to do research on my own, I just decided to go see someone in the practice operated by Nomi's dentist. And the experience was good – my teeth are fine and I got a cleaning – but I still felt odd about it.

Nomi had a dentist appointment too, and after her appointment we went shopping for groceries. We weren't cooking for Thanksgiving ourselves, but a few years ago I had asked Nomi if she could make a turkey dinner for the shabbat of Thanksgiving weekend, because I knew I would continue to be in the mood for turkey. This year, she decided on her own initiative that she wanted to make a turkey dinner, as anyone reading her own LiveJournal already knows. So we went to our local Stop & Shop, which was filled with shoppers buying last-minute groceries for the holiday, and we bought almost all the food we needed. (They were out of canned pumpkin.)

Thursday was Thanksgiving Day here in the United States, of course. For many years now, Nomi and I have gone to her sister's in-laws for Thanksgiving dinner. This all started when Nomi's parents invited us to their home for Thanksgiving, and then they got invited to the home of their other son-in-law, osewalrus. Harold's parents extended the invitation to us, and every year we've been invited again, as part of the extended Feld family. Through it, we've become very close with all of them, including Harold's brothers and cousins lisafeld and Uri.

This year, Becky and Harold couldn't come up for Thanksgiving, but our nephew Aaron came up, and we were hoping to see Lisa and Uri as well. Alas, that was not to be, as their father had a cold and so their side of the family stayed at home for the holiday. But we got to spend time with Harold's parents and older brother and his kids, plus other friends and family. It was wonderful, especially because it reminded me that I still have family.

Friday Nomi spent cooking a turkey dinner.

I spent it dealing with Comcast. The day before, Nomi and I had set up the new TiVo HD DVR. Or rather, I should say that Nomi set it up, while I watched. When she was done, I took it through its paces so it would have all the data it needed to work properly.

A brief digression about TiVo. Nomi and I tend to consider ourselves early adopters of the TiVo DVR, because we bought a Sony Series 1 TiVo back in August 2001 and purchased lifetime service for it. Apparently, the company had been around much earlier than 2001, but we still recall being some of the first people in our social circles to have a DVR. We've used it ever since, and resisted upgrading because of the lifetime service contract. But last month, TiVo announced that for a fee, people who owned a TiVo with a lifetime contract from before October 2003 that had never been moved could upgrade to an HD DVR and move the lifetime contract with it.

After much discussion, Nomi and I decided to take advantage of this offer, which meant having our cable box removed and replaced with a cable card. We decided that Friday would be a good day to do this, since we would be home anyway. Now here's the thing. The cable guy himself, a very nice man named Chris, knew all about cable cards and knew exactly what to do to set up our TiVo with one. But, to activate the card, he had to call an office that goes by the name ATS and have them send a signal which would activate the card. So he installed the card and called the office.

And was on hold for almost an hour. And when he finally got through to someone there, the guy disconnected him.

Chris had two other calls to go to, so we let him go, and he promised to be back before 4 pm (vital for us since the sabbath began at that time). Chris made it back, called ATS, and got us all set up just in the nick of time.

So I have absolutely no complaints with the service provided by the cable technician that Comcast sent to our apartment. But I am boggled by the idea that they would keep their own workers on hold for so long. I thought they only did that for customers. (Rimshot.)

As for all the cooking Nomi 5:30 pm aunt_becca and her husband came over for dinner, and we all had a really great time.

Well, what is there to say? We spent the morning in shul, the afternoon reading and napping, and the evening watching TV.

Shall we do laundry? Maybe some cleaning up? Nah, let's just run some errands and spend the rest of the day relaxing. Ooh, TV! Shiny.

And that was our Thanksgiving weekend. I'm very thankful for it.
Tags: brookline, mom, nyc, personal

  • Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

    The summer of 1989 was a strange one for me. I had spent a little less than half the summer hanging around my childhood home in New York City and…

  • Joel David Burstein (December 11, 1929 - November 2, 1990)

    Twenty-six years ago today, my father died. It feels odd acknowledging this anniversary today, because time has worn away at the emotional pain and…

  • Yom Kippur Thoughts 5777

    Yom Kippur begins tonight, and I haven't really had the time since Rosh Hashanah to contemplate what that should mean for me spiritually. What…

  • Post a new comment


    Comments allowed for friends only

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded